pika-dev

[Pika-dev] pika-0.1pre5 (numerics scaffolding)

From: Tom Lord
Subject: [Pika-dev] pika-0.1pre5 (numerics scaffolding)
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:08:49 -0800 (PST)

A new release from the Pika Scheme project is available at the
usual mirrors:

  |    http://arch.quackerhead.com/~lord/releases/pika             |
  |    http://regexps.srparish.net/src/pika/                       |
  |         (note: the regexps.srparish.net mirror will            |
  |          experience some planned downtime soon)                |

This release is called pika-0.1pre5.  The big new thing is:

~ scaffolding for numbers

  That is to say, a layout of the interface to numbers sufficient
  to efficiently support a variety of number representations.

  The APIs internal and external to Pika provide for optimized
  representations of fixnums and doubles as well as an unbounded
  number of additional representation types.

  The structure that has been set up for implementations of math
  operators and predicates makes it (a) necessary to implement such
  functions for multiple arguments of homogenous representation types;
  (b) easy to implement such functions that optimize a subset of the
  cases for arguments of heterogenous representation types.

  The overall aim is to provide a complete and extensible number
  tower with reasonably good performance.

As usual, recent additions come with corresponding documentation
updates and unit tests.

* How to Get Involved

  [Unfortunately, at this time, the Pika project host (GNU savannah)
   is recovering from some security snafus.  I believe that it
   still works to subscribe to the mailing list by using:

     mailto:address@hidden

  Normally, the instructions are:  ]

  If you believe that you're competent to help secify and/or implement
  a Scheme dialect and VM, and would like to help in that regard,
  please sign up for the pika-dev mailing list:

  and let's take it from there.

  Also:  I am living these days as a "free software Internet busker"
  which means that I write free software, and then from time to time
  "pass the hat" to collect some money to get by on.

  You can read about my other projects (the arch revision control
  system, the hackerlab C library, and the package-framework
  configure/build framework) _and_ find my glorious "paypal link" at
  either of these mirrors:

        http://regexps.srparish.net/www/
        http://arch.quackerhead.com/~lord/

  Thank you for your support.