Re: Bugs, questions, missing files etc.

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Bugs, questions, missing files etc.
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 21:38:10 +0200

On Sunday 29 September 2002 17:19, Konrad Dabrowski wrote:

[...] answered by Ingo already

> Also, being a newbie, I can't work out how to install clanlib and
> compile Pingus. I'm using Red Hat 7.3 if it helps. I would like to have
> the basher fix, so I would like a newer static binary than the
> bet-testing one. Would it be possible for someone to update the beta
> testing binary whenever the source-code is changed?

Installing ClanLib and compiling Pingus on RedHat 7.3 isn't very hard, I'm
using the same. You may use the binaries from Ingo but just getting a few
changes doesn't require that you get the whole files everytime. I'd suggest
that you try to find an easy to use CVS client for Windows and compile the
source yourself doing the following:

Since there are no rpms for the actual version of ClanLib you'll have to use
the tarballs. Installing is easiest done as root so I'll assume that you're
logged in as root.

0. get the Hermes rpm and install it with rpm -i
1. get ClanLib-0.6.3-1.tar.bz2 (smallest) from www.clanlib.org.
2. extract it to a directory of your choice with
    tar xvjf ClanLib-0.6.3-1.tar.bz2
   This should create a new directory ClanLib.
3. in the ClanLib directory do a ./configure
4. make
5. make install
5. edit /etc/ld.so.conf and add /usr/local/lib at the bottom if it's not
   already there
6. run /sbin/ldconfig

Compiling and installing Pingus is the same as in 1-5 only with other names.
One likely point of confusion - if you've got a .tar.gz you'll have to use
tar xvzf to extract it (z for .gz or j for .bz2).
If you use CVS to update your Pingus source make / make install is all you
need. You may even skip the make install and execute Pingus from the /src
directory with ./pingus (I'm doing this all the time).

Bye David