Re: Mouse click timing on 0.6.0

From: John August
Subject: Re: Mouse click timing on 0.6.0
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 10:16:31 +1000

David Philippi committed an update to CVS to fix this problem, and he
wrote about it on the 19th June.

I've done a CVS upload of the program (I was running 0.6.0 standard till
now).

David,

There is definitely an improvement. Where the delay was previous about .9
seconds, its now .3 - .5 seconds.

With the pingus types on the left hand side, the response is very rapid,
so things do change within about .3 seconds. With the pause/speedup/
armageddon controls, it seems that if you click for .3 seconds, the status
will change, but it takes about .2 seconds after you release it (I think
if you click for .5 seconds it will change while you're clicking it).

Don't take these timing too much as accurate - but they give you an
indication.

I know someone was saying they had to "press down hard" - you don't, you can
press gently, but you need to keep the button down.

This is definitely an improvement, but it is still not the "momentary click
response" you'd expect from a windowing system, where if you hear the click,
you know there will be a response.

The game is playable now, you have to do some anticipation of the delay. Before,
.9 second really was bad. Also, you can now trigger armageddon without too
much difficulty. You need to do two short clicks of about .3 seconds, without
seeing any feedback, but it can be done.

Thanks for taking an interest in this problem.

--

John August