Re: Win 32 GCC Development

From: Neil Mitchell
Subject: Re: Win 32 GCC Development
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:33:51 +0100

Hi

> As it looks like nearly all hope of a win32 Port have been abondoned I am
willing to attempt to redesign the current configure and makefile system so
that it can compile as-is under cygwin using the standard: ./configure;
make. At that point a valid win32 executable will exist so creating a
windows installer will be fairly easy. I am uncertain how to go about
linking to Direct X from GCC however I have found that OpenGL runs well
under windows.

Pingus does not need DirectX or OpenGL (well not directly), as it uses
ClanLib, which handles all of the drawing (internally on Windows it calls
DirectX, but I think ClanLib .lib's have the necessary compiled in)

The Windows port was not dead, I kept it compiled regularly, but then it was
decided to rely on VC++ 7 features, I had to stop (as I'm only at 6).

I also posted a Windows installer to this list at some point, which takes
the .exe and data files as a zip, and creates an installer with all the
relevant stuff.

> I am not very proficent in C/C++, as my native language is Visual Basic
(and i've learned to depend upon case insensitivity), however I can
certainly attempt this.
You shouldn't have to touch the code to do this project, in theory.... In
reality the odd tweak might be needed, but if you match GCC version to the
other Pingus's developers, its unlikely. What you will probably need is to
be a makefile expert.

> Please reply with anny comments. If several of you would like me to attemp
this and are willing to assist
me, I will attempt this.
I was intending to attempt this at some point, but time got the better of
me, so if you have any questions I may be able to give a bit of help.

Neil