Re: Win 32 GCC Development

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Win 32 GCC Development
Date: 13 Aug 2003 22:43:09 +0200

Am Mit, 2003-08-13 um 16.30 schrieb Tacvek:
> Is it just me or does it seem like one of those Very many options in
> gcc would allow us to use a ClanLib DLL that was compiled in VC++?

That's highly read impossible since C++ uses name mangling due to the
fact that multiple functions may have the same name if their parameters
differ. That requires the type of the parameters to be encoded into the
function name to differentiate them. For this very fact, C++ libraries
can only be linked with code that uses the very same name mangling and
that of GCC and VC++ differs. In fact it's even different between GCC
2.x, 3.0.x/3.1.x and 3.2 or above.
There's hope for the future since GCC didn't change it's ABI by random
choice but does no adhere to a common specification which hopefully will
be supported my more compilers sometime.

> I strongly oppose requiring tht vc++ be used when GCC is a free
> compiler.

Then go down the whole road and oppose using Windows while there are
free operating systems.

> Actualy i doubt i will attempt this, but I would like to see a stable
> port made and posted on the main page.

I doubt that anyone else will do it as long as it works using VC++. If
you really want to see this you should try to do this. Maybe you'll find
someone on clanlib-devel who'll help you to port ClanLib, for Pingus
there shouldn't be much work be required.

Bye David