Inconsistent fall survival & jumpers bouncing off water/lava bugs

From: Gervase Lam
Subject: Inconsistent fall survival & jumpers bouncing off water/lava bugs
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 00:47:09 +0100

Ingo,

I've been looking at the bug fixes for Pingus and one of them is with
regards to the fact that some Fallers in the faller.plf test level survive
falls inconsistently.  I posted a couple of fixes to the mailing list on
6th April this year.  This contained the fixes for and explanations of the
inconsistent fall survival bug and Jumpers bouncing off water/lava bug
(Jumpers should die instead).

However, recently I noticed that there was another bug that I found with
Fallers.  There may also be another one in connection with it, but I don't
whether it is caused by something else.

I noticed the code that I had was inconsistent with the code from CVS.
So, I backed up my changes and replaced changed code with what was from
CVS.  The first bug I noticed disappeared.  I think the second may also
have disappeared.

However, it seems as if the fixes that I posted on 6th April aren't in the
code.  This means that the inconsistent fall survival bug is there and the
Jumpers bouncing off water/lava bug would be there as well.

What should I do?  This may be a good thing in one way as I think I can do
a slight tweak the inconsistent fall survival bug so that the loop doesn't
call the Pingu's set_velocity() method every time.  This only needs to be
done once outside the loop.

At the moment, I can't think of a better bug fix to the Jumpers bouncing
off water/lava bug.  The bug fix for the latter is not a good fix.

Thanks,
Gervase.