plash

Re: [Plash] Re: X11 proxy related questions

From: Timo Juhani Lindfors
Subject: Re: [Plash] Re: X11 proxy related questions
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 14:05:09 +0300

Hi,

Mark Seaborn <address@hidden> writes:
> I have since found a tool which should be able to provide most of the
> X security requirements very quickly: Xpra.  It takes quite a
> different approach to my X proxy.  It runs applications under a
> separate X server (Xvfb).  It forwards window contents to the real X
> server, and forwards keyboard and mouse input and window positions in
> the other direction to the Xvfb server.  It was not originally
> intended a security tool, but as an X equivalent of "screen".
> See <http://partiwm.org> and
> <http://lists.partiwm.org/pipermail/parti-discuss/2008-April/000014.html>.

Sounds interesting. I have been using VNC (which much like Xvfb) to
interact with "questionable" processes in the past. I read the
description of Xpra but I'm not quite sure how it differs from my
current situation. Does it really just copy bitmap from Xvfb to my
real X display?

best regards,
Timo Lindfors