playogg-discuss

Re: [playogg-discuss] Introductions

From: Chris Double
Subject: Re: [playogg-discuss] Introductions
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 11:01:36 +1200

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 7:08 AM, SMC<address@hidden> wrote:
> In my opinion, the best thing that could happen with Ogg Theora is successful
> encouragement of participants to generate "content" in the Ogg formats.  The
> more people participate in the generation of material to pick from, the more
> demand for support for legally-free formats will grow.  In that regard I'd
> personally like to see a lot more encouragement for audio-only content as
> well, lest people think they can't participate without a video studio...

One reason video is more popular than audio is that are probably more
avenues for uploading and sharing video than audio only content. Do
you know of any audio sharing sites? Do you think such a site would be
worthwhile?

I think the HTML5 video element gets more attention than the audio
element because it provides more ways for a page author to manipulate
the video. The video pixel data is available and can be used on an
HTML canvas. This is how the demo's that do 'greenscreen' overlays,
motion tracking, etc work. Unfortunately the audio element doesn't
provide a way to get at the raw audio samples so it's not possible to
manipulate. As a result it's received less attention from the people
experimenting with what can be done with the element.

Chris,
--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz