playogg-discuss

Re: [playogg-discuss] Which tool to encode web video or audio?

From: Jaime Alberto Silva
Subject: Re: [playogg-discuss] Which tool to encode web video or audio?
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 22:10:41 -0500

I've tried ffmpeg2theora, VLC and firefogg.

I had a few problems converting videos taken with my Nokia N95 phone until I noticed that I have to specify the framerate to 30 fps instead of the bitrate.

I think that the best, easier to use tool for the GUI oriented people is VLC, just go to the "Media >> Convert/Save..." menu or press Ctrl+R, select the file and then from the profiles you can choose "Video - Theora + Vorbis (OGG)", select a destination file and there you go. However, there is a catch, the mentioned profile has too high video and audio bitrates for the web and there is no scaling for the video. If VLC had a profile for the web, something like "Video - Theora + Vorbis (OGG) for web" with a video bitrate of 400Kbps, video scalling to 400 pixels wide (only if bigger) and audio bitrate of 56 Kbps then it would be the perfect solution for the average Joe. There is another catch and is when you must specify fps instead of kbps like with the N95 videos, but those are just special cases (you can't make everyone happy).

My tool of choice, however, is ffmpeg2theora since I am a command line oriented guy. It is really easy to use.

As for Firefogg I think it is a good solution for content upload sites, but make your users install a plug-in or add-on that only works in one browser goes against what HTML5 and the <video> tag are for.

It's a shame that the cortado applet won't work with my videos. I have tried with three different videos so far and it keeps saying that there are no audio or video in the files so I am gonna have to use Youtube embeds as fallback for browsers that don't support the video tag.

Those are my conclusions so far, please let us (the list) know about any appreciations.

Thanks.

Jaime Alberto Silva
Socio / Representante Legal
SG Automatización Ltda.