playogg-discuss

[playogg-discuss] Re: "No derivative" Licenses

From: Orton AKINCI aka .-_-.
Subject: [playogg-discuss] Re: "No derivative" Licenses
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 13:47:52 -0700 (PDT)

hi,

i had the same concern about my work being transcoded to proprietary formats even they are free (as in freedom). my solution is to state my own copyleft notice ...

.copyleft!_

.you are free to appropriate the related content as you wish, as long as you use a copyleft license to redistribute_

.however giving credits and choosing free/open formats are nice_

http://www.httpdot.net/copyleft_

you can see the explanation of the notice on the link above... this is not a license but just a notice. i think we don't need the mediation of any law (or anyone) to describe the way to share our creativity. it is all about moral issues, not law!. are you going to "sue" someone if they transcode your work? why do you need cc? didn't we have any "free" works available before cc?.

cc is not the only way for the free culture. check out the "free art license" ( http://artlibre.org/licence/lal/e ) which was issued before cc being royal to the terms of GNU GPL. libre commons ( http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/rt/printerFriendly/1403/1321) is also inspiring since it favours the moral issues instead of law... i appreciate the work of david berry and giles moss  ( http://www.archive.org/details/LibreCultureMeditationsOnFreeCulture)  . you can also check freedomdefined.org for a comparison of some licenses ( http://freedomdefined.org/Licenses

besides the copyleft notice in my website i also state that

. all the content is copyleft! & available in free/open formats_
. this website runs entirely on the following free/open source software&standards_

Debian GNU/Linux | Apache | Php | MySQL | Wordpress | Swiss | Sandbox | ogg theora | ogg vorbis | html5 | GNU FreeFont | PNG | ODF

i think you can state your own copyleft notice if you are not planning to sue anyone :)

you can check out my projects at the link below if you like...

.-_-.

http://httpdot.net/.-_-./