po4a-dev

Re: [Po4a-dev][po-debconf] News

From: Martin Quinson
Subject: Re: [Po4a-dev][po-debconf] News
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 23:59:28 +0200

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 01:16:28PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> po-debconf is now in Debian unstable, Joey Hess uses it in debconf 1.2.9 :)
> I will make http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po-debconf/ available very soon.

Yuhu ! full victory !

What is the next target ? po-pod seem feasible, don't you think so ? Last
time I tryied, I was mainly blocked by spending too much time in a po.pm
module to solve cleanly problems like writing, loading and use (to
translate) of a po file. But I guess you did solve these issues for
po-debiandoc and/or po-debconf, don't you?

I also think that po-man would be a really interesting target. Last time we
spoke about that, you thought it was undoable, but please check the rman
program. It can write pod files which are almost usable (beside some stupid
bugs like missing empty lines here and there, and the fact that the pod
format can't handle sectionning).

If I had some more time, I think I would:
 - end my po.pm to factorize the code used in all po-* module. I think it's
   important to improve the existing Locale::PO module for that, so that it
   can be widly used, and even more in the pod tool suite. I guess I did
   commit what I have here in the CVS.

 - make sure my pod2po script works. I'm not sure I did commit it to the CVS.
 - patch the scripts pod2html, pod2latex, pod2man, pod2text, pod2usage to
   use po files to translate.

 - convert rman from C to something else, like perl (the source code isn't
   really clean, but is readable) to do a man2po.
   Like everywhere else, I would split msgid on paragraphs, using the pod
   syntax to mark I<> B<> and so on.
   How would you handle man pages with complicated macros, like the tables
   in signal.7, do you ask? I've no idea yet, but if we could at least
   handle the 95% of man pages which are easily parsable, I would be more
   than happy.
   Then, a po2man (or man+po2man) would be needed, but easy to do, on the
   same model than man2po.

And you, what do you would like to do ? po-wml ? ;)

Thanks, Mt.

PS: We are somehow ridiculus to speak english on a ML where only french
people are subscribed. Is it at least archived ?

--
Autrefois, c'était l'excellence qui faisait la notoriété.
Maintenant, c'est la notoriété qui fait l'excellence.