[Protux-devel] Re: protux on FreeBSD

From: Luciano Giordana
Subject: [Protux-devel] Re: protux on FreeBSD
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 02:48:39 -0200

> I'm just wondering if there's any chance of Protux being portable enough to
> compile on other Unixes, i.e. FreeBSD.

Protux is intended for GNU/Linux, so we really won't port it.
But since it is free , if somebody decides to port it, we will support in terms
of explaining internal design.
(except for windoze. We will not offer any kind of support for such porting. We
won't even answer emails, hehe)

> At compile time, it looks for very Linux specific files, like
> linux/soundcard.h
>
> It'd be nice if the configure script set these dependencies, so people
> could just submit patches to the configure files, and voila, it's build
> smootly on other OS's

that's a work for such proting team ;-)

> Sure, I need to port ALSA to get multi-channel support, but that shouldn't
> take too long.

I dont have many information about ALSA beign ported to other unixes. But I
believe it wont,
since ALSA is beign merged into Linux kernel, and it is designed specifcly for
the linux kernel (Advanced Linux Sound Architeture)

> On that topic, why wouldn't the OSS group add the features you need?
> It'd make sense, seeings it's the 'Open Sound System' - implying it'd
> handle unlimited channels, run on unlimited OS's, etc...

hehe. this is a good question. It is because OpenSOund sytem is open only in
the name. It is a comercial driver.

> Keep up the great work!

thanks for feedback :-)

--
Luciano Giordana - Musician - Certified Java/GNU C++ Developer - Free Software
Evangelist