[Protux-devel] some diplomacy...

From: Luciano Giordana
Subject: [Protux-devel] some diplomacy...
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 18:31:12 -0200

Hi all,

we need to make some diplomacy with ALSA developers. I tried a LOT to answer
the questions below, but I just can't, even re-reading the ALSA docs (it just
help nothing...)

I tried to send some emails to them  , but they didnt answer. I believe protux
is a more mature project now, and maybe with good diplomacy, they will spend
some time to answer the questions. We could offer to write a little
documentation on how to use ALSA for multitrack applications (there is
nothing about this over the internet...)

questions :

1 - I have 2 cards (card 0 and card1). both has the ability to record in
stereo, only from right or only from left ( I checked this in a windows
application).

Is the following correct ? (if not, what would be correct , or what is the
logic for the hwx,x string and the real card buses?)

card 0 , stereo capture bus : hw0,0
card 0, right capture bus : hw0,1
card 0, left cpature bus : hw0,2
card 1, stereo capture bus : hw1,0
and so on...

2 - I have a card with simple stereo playback and the ability to record from
stereo, right or left channel, as the question 1 says.

I see that in /proc/asound/card0 I have these directories pcm0, pcm1, and so
on..

my application must now if which pcmxx can record in stereo and which can
record in mono (from right or left channel). Is there a relation between
pcmxx dirs and  the card "channels"  ? if yes, what is relation? if not, how
can I know all ways that my card can record , and how to acess only the
right/left or stereo channels to record or even playback ?

Thanks

Luciano

--
Best Regards