Re: [Protux-devel] my work is locked :-(

From: Martin Herren
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] my work is locked :-(
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 08:20:54 +0100

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 22:06:27 -0200
Luciano Giordana <address@hidden> wrote:

> address@hidden head]$ aclocal -I
> /home/giordana/Documents/alsa/alsa-lib-0.9.0rc5/utils/
> seems to work
> address@hidden head]$ autoheader -I /usr/local/share/aclocal
> seems to work

now the first 2 steps run fine

> address@hidden head]$ libtoolize --force
> You should update your `aclocal.m4' by running aclocal.
> (again this message (I already runned aclocal))

perhaps just run
aclocal -I /home/giordana/Documents/alsa/alsa-lib-0.9.0rc5/utils/
again...

> address@hidden head]$ autoconf
> configure.ac:11: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
> configure.ac:13: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_ENABLE_SHARED
> configure.ac:14: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_ENABLE_STATIC
>
> (these are new)

this is due to the problem with libtoolize... i would try to run aclocal (and
perhaps autoheader again after liboolize)

> address@hidden head]$ automake
> seems to work

fine

> address@hidden head]$ ./configure
> checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr//bin/install -c
> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking for g++... g++
> checking for C++ compiler default output... a.out
> checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
> checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
> checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr//bin/install -c
> ./configure: line 2379: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL: command not found
> ./configure: line 2381: syntax error near unexpected token `yes'
> ./configure: line 2381: `AC_ENABLE_SHARED(yes)'
> address@hidden head]$
>
> seems worse than before :-(

no... configure script hangs sooner, but autotool suite when further...

> I will try a clean checkout (hard to me due the slow connection, but I will
> try),

that would be good... but first try to run aclocal again after libtoolize

> meanwhile, could you explan in few words what is aclocal, autoheader, and
> each
> one of the new compilation process steps ?

aclocal generates the aclocal.m4 file, which contains used macros like
AM_PATH_ALSA (from alsa.m4) and AC_PATH_MUSTUX (from mustux.m4), so the end
user doesn't need to have these m4 files installed...

autoheader generates the config.h.in file, which is used  by ./configure to
create config.h... config.h defines among other the VERSION and RESOURCES_DIR

automake generates the Makefile.in's from all the Makefile.am's

autoconf generates the configure from configure.ac (or previously configure.in).

./configure takes all .in files (Makefile.in, config.h.in, ...) and generates
the output files (Makefile, config.h,...)

libtoolize is required for libraries... it generates the libtool file, which is
used for compilation. but i'm not really sure was it does exactly.

BTW, did someone else have problems with the upgrade to current cvs ? or did
noone try it else ?

/Martin

--
Martin Herren

Protux - A Free Professional Audio Tool for GNU/Linux:
-> http://www.nongnu.org/protux/
Open your Windows - Free your Mind - Enjoy:
->http://gnuwin.epfl.ch