Re: [Protux-devel] Mustux.Org

From: Luciano Giordana
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] Mustux.Org
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 9:23:15 -0300

--------- Mensagem Original --------
De: Remon Sijrier <address@hidden>
Para: address@hidden <address@hidden>
Assunto: Re: [Protux-devel] Mustux.Org
Data: 17/06/04 05:03

> Hi Fabio,

&gt; I'm temporarily back until next week, when I'll be in Rio de Janeiro --
&gt; so wish me warm weather! :-D. Anyway, I'd like to put two issues on the
&gt; table.

Nice to see your back, and of course  I wish you a warm weather ;-)

&gt;          Option 1: To keep the sites where they are at the moment:
&gt; protux's page on savannah, and protux's fori on Remon's servers) and
&gt; then just redirect the page from one to the other by means of
&gt; registering the domain and redirect the page.
&gt;
&gt;          Option 2: Find us a server somewhere, (bought or rented).
&gt; Create Mustux.org  -- So mustuxlib will have its own page -- and also
&gt; put protux's page and protux's fori on this server. The advantage to
&gt; this is that we will no longer have to administer two computers.
&gt;
&gt; I'm in favor of the second option because it releaves Remon's computer
&gt; of a lot of workload (that is, if we expect a lot of people to start
&gt; frequenting the forum, which is quite possible -- and I hope will
&gt; happen!).

At this very moment, mainly googlebot is visiting the fora, so not to much
workload here.
Also maintaining (administer) 2 computers? If we rent a server and host
everything on it,  I still have to administer my own server :-P

In other words, I vote for Option 1 right now, maybe after Protux 0.30.0 is
out we can rethink to go to a rented server, but I don't think it's of much
value right now.
Unfortunately, development will be slow for another couple of months, and I
don't think Protux 0.30.0 will be implemented before the end of this year,
maybe all the features are in then, I hope so ;-)
But I agree that a more transparent interface has to be made, but with some
work it should be possible to use the websites of savannah for this purpose?
(Pity we can't use PHP at the savannah sites :-( )

&gt; The second issue I'd like to put on the table is related to
&gt; administration of this page. I have always thought that we could make
&gt; Protux page much similar to what is Footnotes
&gt; (http://www.gnomedesktop.org) at the moment -- this would make protux's
&gt; page more dynamic. The problem as it stands is that the page changes
&gt; very little, and thus, people are not encouraged to visit. Using a web
&gt; administration program would allow us to change protux's page without
&gt; actually editing HTML code, making updating a lot easier, and much
&gt; faster, leaving us a lot more time to make the protux and libmustux
&gt; &quot;rock really hard.&quot;
&gt;
&gt; Also, I believe it would be possible for us to make integration between
&gt; PHPbb and the web administration program as to have the most important
&gt; issues always on the front page. This attracts attention, and this
could
&gt; be very interesting for us at the point in development which protux
&gt; stands. It signalizes work, and that, I believe, attracts interested
&gt; developers and testers.

I totally agree, but I argue to make the page much simpler. Footnotes is not
IMHO as transparent as it should be...
But that would be future stuff ;-)

Best wishes,

Remon