[Protux-devel] Development news

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: [Protux-devel] Development news
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:10:56 +0100

Hello all,

I think it's time to give some development news, and ask some questions:

1. MHE (Mustux History Engine) is implemented and works.
To make use of the engine, each class that needs undo capabilities should
inherit from MustuxSlotContainer.
Each slot which has an un/redoable action should return a MustuxAction object.
MustuxActions objects are inherited from MustuxAction, documentation will be
placed online soon.

2. Protux has adopted the new MHE, a few actions are converted:
- Drag Clip
- Move Clip
- Mute Clip (do we want this to be undoable?)
- Split Clip
- Crop ( == select a piece of the cliparea and delete)
- Track gain

More actions can be coded/converted on demand, please post your actions which
you like most to be un/redoable to the protux wishlist :-)

3. I always wondered why Project and Song were both Widgets.
In respect to the JMB concept, one works with a "ViewPort" which receives the
key facts and mouse events which are feed to the JMB engine which calls the
slot of the currently active Object, for Protux one of the loaded Songs......

So now Protux has a ProjectViewPort MustuxWidget which catches key and mouse
events.
Each Song/Track/MTA/Clip is using the painter of the ProjectViewPort to paint
on it.
The result: Song and Project are no longer MustuxWidgets which is good since
they don't have anything to do with a Widget type at all :-)
Another result: There is now only one CursorManager since the cursor is
painted on the ProjectViewPort, so one is enough.
Previous, each Song had one which made Protux rather heavy. For large Projects
(say 12 Songs) you will notice a huge improvement in Project loading time!

4. I don't know if I'm allowed to say this allready, but Luciano wants to
release 0.26.0 in a rather short amount of time.
During the 0.20.0 to 0.30.0 development no (much) new features will go into
Protux in respect to Audio editing/recording.
These series have huge infrastructural changes which should make further
development easier with un/redo right there, true contextual approach and
well, just making the code base of Protux ready for future development.
In other words, Protux 0.26.0 should look and feel the same as 0.20.0

And thats what I want to ask you:

PLEASE TEST ;-)

Protux CVS should compile without a problem now, you need to update both
libmustux and protux to get it work and compile properly....

5. Protux irc channel #protux (freenode) has seen a new live, if you have some
questions, I try to have an eye on the channel so....

Hmmm, I think thats it for now. Happy testing :-)

Remon

P.S. Many thanks to Luciano, he helped me a lot last weeks!