Re: [Protux-devel] [OT] protux in the press ...

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] [OT] protux in the press ...
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:30:12 +0100

> hi,
>
> protux was mentioned in an article of a computer magazin called c't here in
> germany.

Hmm, thats not bad! c't is a magazine with a very large customer base, perhaps
the Dutch version will also see this article :-)

> ARTICLE:
>
> "Protux's approach is very different, since the app has professional
> ambitions. The software is controlled via keyboard and mouse movements only
> (mouse clicks are necessary only in some dialogs). This is extremely
> uncommonly at first sight - so being successful in doing the first basic
> editing steps will take some time. The JMB emgine is an interesting
> approach, but you need an initial training to work really fast in the end.
> Anyhow, some user will miss an option to control the program via common
> mouse usage. Seems to be a very dogmatic philosophy - so it is maybe hard
> to achieve a wide user acceptance.
>
> Protux´s export ficilities are restricted to WAV and a proprietary fromat,
> but can read mp3 and ogg vorbis. Anyway: The internal effects can be
> applied in real-time. In spite of all intractability, protux is a young
> piece of software that should be further on watched closely."

Thanks for the translation :-)

I think what they are saying is correct.

I spoke to someone very interested on the JMB concept, and he said. "Why don't
u just add 2/3 menu buttons to the interface, so new users can start to use
the application more easily, since the threshold would be much lower"

I think he has some point, for example "project manager" and specially for
users starting to use Protux the first time a "help" button would be very
helpfull.....
We do have some room in the status bar at the bottom of the interface... RFC
(There could be an option to not display the buttons for example once used to
the JMB concept, it will be just there to have users not go directly away
from using the program cause they see no buttons and don't know how to start
using the program...
Where is our interactive learning lady.... :-P )

Best,

Remon