pspp-dev

RE: release candidate 3 available--Solaris 5.9 issue

From: DeBerry, Marshall
Subject: RE: release candidate 3 available--Solaris 5.9 issue
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:58:35 -0400

When doing the ./configure on a Solaris 5.9 OS, Sunfire V240 box, I get
the following messages:

configure:10563: checking for mpf_get_str in -lgmp
configure:10593: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include  conftest.c
-lgmp
-lplot -lm  >&5
ld: fatal: file
/usr/local/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/3.4.2/../../../libgmp.so
: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to conftest
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:10599: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */

[stuff deleted]

configure:10635: checking for __gmpf_get_str in -lgmp
configure:10665: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include  conftest.c
-lgmp
-lplot -lm  >&5
ld: fatal: file
/usr/local/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/3.4.2/../../../libgmp.so
: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to conftest
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:10671: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */

Checking around on this error, it seems to be related to when I compiled
the libgmp stuff.  The libgmp configure explicitly checks for whether or
not a machine is 64 bit capable; and then produces the appropriate code
for the creation of a 64 bit library.  It seems that the pspp configure
is becoming confused when it encouters a 64 bit style library.  Also,
here was an exchange on the gmp mailing list 07/04 regarding 64 bit
compiles for libgmp:

Alex S Moore writes:
"  On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 14:52, Nathan Moore wrote:
> Have had a lot of trouble getting the GMP package to work with
Solaris.
>   Working on a Sunblade 2000 workstation, w/ UltraSparc3, and Solaris
8.
>   The library is installed per the auto config script.  With makefile,
> - - - - -
> Anyone on the list know what "ELFCLASS64" refers to?  I can't find a
> reference.

It should mean that you are trying to compile 64-bit with non-64-bit
options.

If you care to try packages from blastwave.org, I have a libgmp package
with libraries for the common architectures.  However, I did not build
with the Sun performance libraries.  There are several 32-bit libraries
and the 64-bit library..

Here are some of the things that I do to build 64-bit.  Export the
following:
CFLAGS='-fast -xtarget=ultra -xarch=v9'
 ABI=64  "

I'll keep poking at the configure script with an eye towards 64 bit
checks--any thoughts?
  Marshall