pspp-dev

Re: german version of pspp

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: german version of pspp
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 09:06:20 +0800

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 12:05:13PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:

        i just wanted to know if there is also a german verision? it is hard to
        understand the english statistic-terms.

There's no German localisation, but PSPP has been internationalised, so it
should be simple to add one if somebody undertakes to do the required
translation.

Having said that, from what I know about what PSPP has currently implemented,
and from my limited knowledge of the German language, there are not many terms
that would require translation or would be similar to the English strings.
For example, the most common string in the output tables is probably "N"
(meaning `number').  Its German equivalent would probably be the same "N"
(Nummer) or possibly "Z" (Zahl)?

The only other statistical terms currently in common use throught PSPP are:

Mean -> Durchschnitt / Mittelwert
Std. Dev. -> Standardabweichung

More technical things like "Kurtosis" I imagine don't have any German
translation.  Things like "Pearson correlation coefficient"
(Pearson-Korrelationskoeffizient) we tend to abbreviate anyway (eg: "R")
otherwise it makes the tables too wide.

Disclaimer: I am not a native German speaker.  The translations on this page
could be totally inaccurate.

I don't know how familiar you are with statistical methods.  Many statistical
terms are hard to understand even for a native English speaker, if they've
not studied basic statistical theory.  Perhaps the biggest problem is that
we don't have a good PSPP tutorial (in any language).

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3