pspp-dev

Re: Flexifiles

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Flexifiles
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 14:31:33 +0800

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 05:01:29PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     > On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 09:47:36AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     >
     >      I'm beginning to believe that casefiles should not be used for
     >      GUI access.  Instead, we should create a new, more dynamic
     >      structure for GUI access, one that supports the casefile
     >      operations.  For convenience, I'll call it a "flexfile", because
     >      it's flexible.  The GUI would use flexfiles where the TUI uses
     >      casefiles.  I'd write a wrapper that allowed them to be used
     >      interchangeably.
     >
     > Can we do the API changes for that now?  For the time being, we can do a
     > very naive implementation which stores an array of cases on the heap.
     > Once we know that it's going to fit in with the rest of the code, then
     > we can think about a proper implementation.

     Yes, we could do the API changes.  I have too many things on my
     plate already, so I am not going to promise to do this.  If you
     have time and the inclination, then you are welcome to do so,
     although I'd like to look over see a draft of the changes before
     they are checked in, if that's all right.

OK.  I'm looking at it.  I'll send you a patch and discus it with you
before I commit anything.

J'

BTW. The GUI can now sort its working file.  Use the Sort Cases item
in the Data menu.

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3