pspp-dev

Re: NEWS for upcoming release

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: NEWS for upcoming release
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 08:03:39 -0800

> I suppose it's not appropriate to be too verbose in the NEWS file.
> How about the following text:
>
> "PSPP now has a graphical user interface, called PSPPIRE.  This
> interface, allows you to enter data and variable definitions
> interactively.  Commands may be executed in syntax form, or by using
> the interactive dialog boxes available from the dropdown menus."

That sounds good.  I checked it in.

> A couple of minor points:
>
> 1. When did the support for very long strings get implemented? I thought
>    it was post 0.4.3, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

It appears to already be in NEWS for 0.4.1.

That reminds me: how would you feel about merging all the NEWS
sections from 0.4.1 onwards?  We never made official release for
those versions, so our users probably are not aware of them, but
I wouldn't want them to miss the new features simply because they
read only the first set of NEWS.

> 2. GET DATA could read things other than "files".  For example
>    database streams have been mentioned recently.

Good point.  I deleted "files", so that it now reads:

      - GET DATA, which currently supports reading Gnumeric files.  It
        will be extended later to read other types of foreign data.

Please, if you have better wording, feel free to check it in.
--
"MONO - Monochrome Emulation
 This field is used to store your favorite bit."