pspp-dev

Re: transition from CVS to Git?

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: transition from CVS to Git?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:02:24 -0800

> Aegis also has these properties, plus:

Does anyone use it?  The Aegis website's list of users is a trove
of obscurity.  The only project on the list I've ever heard of is
SCons.

Unknown version control systems are a problem.  No one can help
you when you run into issues.  There's no one doing maintenance
or active development.  And there's nobody providing hosting for
it (are there any public hosting services for Aegis?).

> On the down side, there's not (yet) savannah support for Aegis.
>
>      In fact, it makes
>      the history *easier* to follow, because Git will break the
>      history into atomic change sets
>
> I don't see how it can do that, except by assuming that each file is a
> separate change-set.  I'm not sure that makes things easier to follow.

The CVS import is smart.  It figures out changesets.  It even
figures out renaming (actually, Git figures out renaming at
"diff" time, not at "commit" time, so this feature comes for
free).

Here's an example.  I've set up a Git repository for PSPP on my
home machine.  You can clone it via:
        git clone git://blp.benpfaff.org/git/pspp
if you want to try it out.  But since my home network connection
is slow, it's easier to use the web interface:
        http://blp.benpfaff.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi

Try clicking on pspp/.git, then on the "new developer's guide"
commit near the top.  You can then see how Git picked up on the
rename of, for example, portable-file-format.texi from doc/ to
doc/dev, even though I modified it a bit in the process by
deleting trailing white space and improved the wording of the
lead-in paragraph a bit.
--
"While the Melissa license is a bit unclear, Melissa aggressively
 encourages free distribution of its source code."