pspp-dev

Glade is such a pain!

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Glade is such a pain!
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 22:49:00 -0800

So, I've been doing my best tonight to try to design a dialog
box, or a series of dialog boxes, to import text data, and I am
getting absolutely nowhere.  I look at the dialog boxes that
existing applications use (for example, the ones that Gnumeric
has for importing text data) and those in the Gnome human
interface guidelines (for example, the one at
http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/windows-assistant.html.en
).

Then I try to make something similar in Glade that looks similar,
and it seems impossible.  Consider the simple assistant in the
webpage referenced above.  I want to make something that starts
out in a similar way.  So I fire up glade-3 and try to do so.
Start by clicking on the "Assistant" icon under "Toplevels".
Then expand "assistant1" in the Inspector on the right, click on
"label1" under it, select "Label", type some appropriate contents
for what I'm doing.

What I actually get looks like this:
        http://footstool.stanford.edu/~blp/foo.png
This looks awful, nothing like what I want.

OK, so this is a trivial example.  I want to do something more
complex.  But glade seems to make it really difficult.  I guess
my question is, am I missing something--does glade look and work
better for the rest of you?  Or is it really about as easy to
visualize the output as with editing the XML by hand in a text
editor?
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org