pspp-dev

Re: Post 0.6.0 releases.

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Post 0.6.0 releases.
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:05:10 -0700

Ben Pfaff <address@hidden> writes:

> John Darrington <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:39:04AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>>      John Darrington <address@hidden> writes:
>>      > I suggest that we maintain three branches.
>>      >
>>      > 1. A branch containing the current release patched with  bug-fixes.
>>      >
>>      > 2. A branch containing 1 (above) patched with enhancements.
>>      >    "Enhancements" in this context means       changes which provide
>> new
>>      >    functionality without requiring major code reorganisation.  Eg new
>>      >    commands which don't require low level library modification.
>>      >
>>      > 3. A branch containing 2. patched with any changes which don't fit
>>      >    the above criteria.
>>
>> Obviously, more branches means more work.  How much extra work depends
>> on how much the branches overlap, how often they're merged and how
>> well git has been designed to handle branches.
>
> I don't see how branches in this scheme could ever merge.  Many
> changes that are appropriate for #2 will never be appropriate for
> #1, and similarly many changes that are appropriate for #3 will
> never be appropriate for #2 or #3.

Upon reflection, I think you must have meant merging in the other
direction: fixes from #1 merged into #2 and #3, and enhancements
from #2 merged into #3.  That makes sense.
--
"The fact is, technical people are better off not looking at patents. If
 you don't know what they cover and where they are, you won't be knowingly