pspp-dev

Re: Contribution of procedures

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Contribution of procedures
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 20:56:57 -0700

Duane Currie <address@hidden> writes:

> My questions:
>     1.  Is there a list of procedures that people are requesting
>          that can be (a) added to, and/or (b) assigned to someone
>          to develop?

Yes, we use the PSPP bug tracking system to keep track of
features that people want.  Go to:
        https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=pspp
to see the list.  You can use the Display Criteria selections to
choose just "feature request" bugs by switching to the Advanced
query form and then choosing a Severity of "wishlist".

You can add to it by submitting a new bug of "wishlist"
severity.  Assignment is probably best handled just by adding a
comment saying that you are working on it.

>     2.  The instructions say to develop in C using gsl and such.
>          Is it any more convenient for people integrating if I were
>          to follow a stricter set of constraints that are used in the
>          actual program?  (to reduce the amount of integration
>          work for folks doing that)  If so, are these documented,
>          or should I just regress it from the source code?

Ideally, if you are developing a new procedure, you would
integrate it into PSPP yourself and then provide the new
procedure as a patch.  The code should follow the GNU Coding
Standards where applicable, and otherwise resemble the code
elsewhere in PSPP to a reasonable degree.  There is a start to a
developer's guide, in the source tree, but it is probably not
complete enough to help you out too much.  In general, if you
have questions, please feel free to ask them here.

Before your code can be accepted, you will have to assign
copyright for it to the Free Software Foundation.  If you want to
get that process started, let me know and I will email you
privately with the necessary details.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org