pspp-dev

even more about character encoding names

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: even more about character encoding names
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 13:59:05 -0800

I had been under the impression, from previous discussions, that
the string in .sav file record 7, subtype 20
(e.g. "windows-1252") provided additional important information
on top of what was in the code page number in record 7 subtype 3
(e.g. 1252).

But now that I go through my trove of .sav files that I have
found around the Internet, I can only find one where this is the
case.  That one is one written by PSPP itself (version
0.7.4-g44daa4)!  In all the others, the encoding string just
repeats what we already know from the code page number.

Have you seen any .sav files where the character encoding name
provides more information than the codepage number?

Thanks,

Ben.
--
Ben Pfaff