pspp-dev

Re: Autogenerating screenshots

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Autogenerating screenshots
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 07:37:15 +0000

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 09:15:32PM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     Does it need xvfb just to keep windows from showing up on the
     user's X display while it runs?  GTK+ has GtkOffscreenWindow that
     might be a way to avoid that.  Then we could at least avoid
     adding one (rather unusual) dependency.

Well you need an X server in order to "display" the dialog.  Many years
ago I tried other ways of doing this sort of thing on the current
display.  The problem is, that the script cannot in general get control
over that display - eg to set resolution, colours etc.  Also, a lot
of problems arise from other interactions with the display (eg:
"You must not move the mouse while the screenshot program is running").

Having a display dedicated to the window I'm trying to capture makes
the job a lot easier.

An advantage of xvfb is that I can tell it to start with a particular
resolution - even if the machine's graphics hardware doesn't support such
a resolution (or has no graphics hardware at all).

I haven't really paid much attention to GtkOffscreenWindow so I don't
know if it would make the job any easier.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
See http://keys.gnupg.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.