pspp-dev

Proposed new interface for dialog boxes

From: John Darrington
Subject: Proposed new interface for dialog boxes
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 17:35:26 +0000

Currently, the implementation of dialog box behaviour has been rather add
hoc.   I'm attaching a series of patches for review which proposes a
hopefully cleaner and more consistent way of doing things.

Basically there is a new abstract class PsppireActionDialog (which is itself
a subclass of GtkAction) and all dialog boxes will be implementations of this.
It'll take some time before all existing ones are converted, but I think it'l
be worth the effort.

One of the advantages it should bring us, is the ability to easily popup a
dialog box remotely (ie through a script) for the purposes of testing, or
to create screenshots.  Looking ahead much further to the future, I think
it will also help allowing the implementation of dialog boxes in a high level
language.

I had hoped the loc would become smaller with this change, but that is not
the case.  However, the extra code is largely boilerplate  - at a pinch it
could be autogenerated, but I don't currently think it worthwhile doing so.

Comments?

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3