pspp-dev

Re: var_to_string

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: var_to_string
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 14:23:53 +0000

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 09:35:52PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     > The attatched patch makes a solution to bug #31566 possible.
     >
     > It replaces the const char* with a struct string *

     I don't like the idea of doing this extra allocation, copying,
     and deallocation if we can avoid it.

I'm not particularly happy with it either.

     One way, for example, would be to add a new var_* function that
     returns the variable name and label together, keeping the string
     cached as part of the struct variable.

I can see that would work.  However, I don't like the idea of having the
data and its presentation in the same structure.  I think we ought to
start making an effort to keep them apart.

Have you any other suggestions?

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3