pspp-dev

Re: Mime Types

From: Jeremy Lavergne
Subject: Re: Mime Types
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:40:51 -0400

> I can't add much more, than to confirm what Ben says.
>
> The open file dialogs filter by mime types, so if the OS
> doesn't recognise a file as application/x-spss-* then you
> won't see it, except when "All Files" is selected.
>
> Different operating systems have different ways of associating files
> with their mime types.  On GNU/Linux for example, it's done through the
> mime-info database, which looks inside the file to check if it really is
> a .sav file.  On Windows, there is a registry setting.

We have these available inside shared-mime-info:
x-spss-por.xml
x-spss-sav.xml

> I've heard that Mac has things called "UTI"s which are supposed to be
> better than mime-types.  Presumably there's a way to map from UTIs to
> mimetypes, but I have exhausted my knowlege of the subject.

The UTIs won't impact that file open dialog: there is no such things as "list
only type X" in the dialogs of OS X. These file open dialogs are specific to
gtk, so I'd expect the shared-mime-info files to accurately reflect these files
in its dialog.

My guess is with the mime database simply isn't getting built after
installation. I'll revisit it after the hurricane blows over.