pspp-dev

Re: Development plans?

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Development plans?
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 09:26:37 +0100

Hello John,

Many thanks for your interest.  Your questions are about development of PSPP so
are certainly on topic here.  To answer them to the best of my ability:

1. I don't think we actually wrote "we don't need money" :)  We did start a
dialogue with the FSF and some other organisations to set up a targetted
donations account, but that seems to have stalled.  This was intended to gather
donations from persons who wished to contribute (say) $15 -- it would go into a
fund until we had enough to do something with it.

But the situation you are describing is a little different.  For organisations
who wish to contract the development of a new feature, there is a company that
undertakes such work:  http://cellform.com (disclaimer: I am associated with
this enterprise).  Several features (for example the Perl module) came into
existence this way.

2. The closest thing to a prioritised list of development wishes is the bug
tracker: http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=pspp  (sort by Severity and/or
Release). If you decide to start work on one of these, I suggest that you
discuss it on this list, and then set its status in the tracker to "In
Progress".
Priorities however are subjective - some people think that certain things
are important, other people have other ideas  - at the end of the day, things
get done in the order which interests the developers, or by contract per above.

Did you have something particular in mind that you wanted to contribute?
Multi-Way
anova has been "almost finished" for a while now.  It just needs some final
attention
before we can say that it is done.  Perhaps you would like to look at that.

Regards,

John