pspp-users

Re: missing functionality

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: missing functionality
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 22:58:37 -0500

unknown-1 wrote:
- I would love if there was an icon for *.sav en *.sps files so it would be possible to assign them with the files for quick identification. I guess using the spss icons is not allowed.

famfamfam used to have a nice (relatively) free icon set named silk that was widely used for programming and the web... the main site seems to be off-line now... I found a copy:

http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk
http://rip747.wordpress.com/2007/10/18/famfamfam-silk-icons-converted-to-gifs/

I don't know what format desktop icons need to be, I think at a minimum these would be too small but maybe they can be blown-up and converted. You could use one of the database icons for the .SAV file and one of the document icons for the .SPS file. I've also seen many free icon editors for Windows... there may be better choces, but I've used Bouffler's freeware Icon Edit successfully:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22icon+edit%22++bouffler&btnG=Search

I think it wouldn't take much to improve on SPSS's choices... I guess they look a bit like the windows they represent but what you really need is a way to connect the file to SPSS.
-Alan

--
Alan D. Mead, Ph.D. Assistant Professor, Institute of Psychology
Scientific Adviser, Center for Research and Service

Skype: alandmead
+312.567.5933 (Campus)
+815.588.3846 (Home Office)
+312.567.3493 (Fax)

http://www.iit.edu/~mead
http://www.center.iit.edu
http://www.alanmead.org

Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will help create the fact.
 -- Henry James