pspp-users

RE: Pspp-users Digest, Vol 47, Issue 17

From: Ferguson, Douglas A
Subject: RE: Pspp-users Digest, Vol 47, Issue 17
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 12:33:04 -0400

In praise of asterisks:

One of the joys of studying a correlation matrix in SPSS is viewing the
asterisks.  One asterisk means less than 5% chance of Type I error and two
asterisks means less than 1% chance of the same.  "Seeing stars" is a good
thing, even if overly-large sample sizes promote Type II error.

I don't question the utility of italics, even if they work erratically, but I
sorely miss those SPSS-style asterisks in PSPP.  I wish I knew enough to make
the fix myself, but I am at the mercy of programmers who prefer fonts.

Douglas A. Ferguson, Ph.D.
Professor
College of Charleston
(843) 608-8008