pspp-users

Re: List serv clarification for new user

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: List serv clarification for new user
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 10:36:14 -0800

Jill Covert <address@hidden> writes:

> 1) I've subscribed to both pspp-users and Old Nabble, but I'm not clear if
> there is a difference between the two. What is the difference between sending
> a question via email to pspp-users vs. posting directly to Old Nabble?

pspp-users is the actual mailing list.

"Old Nabble" is some kind of third party service.  I did not know
that they supported posting; I thought it was just a mailing list
archive.

I suggest posting directly to the mailing list.

> 2) I responded to the response I got to my March 2 post re: can't declare
> missing values--but didn't see my follow up posted--just want to make sure it
> was received and that you know I read your response.

I don't see a response by you either.  Maybe you should re-send
it.

> 3) I don't want my entire email (with signature) posted on Old Nabble--is it
> there b/c I sent my question via email to the pspp-users email address? If I
> don't want that to happen, do I post directly to Old Nabble?

I think that you would have to ask the administrators of that
service.

> Generally I just don't understand the list serv process--does the post get
> vetted first or get posted right away? Thank you for your clarification--I
> really appreciate having pspp available to me and know I will have questions
> as I continue to navigate it and thus want to be able to use the user group
> most efficiently (for all of us :)

Messages should normally get posted right away.  The first
message from any given email address goes through a "moderation"
process just to make sure that it is not spam, but after that
they should go through directly.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org