pspp-users

Re: When to use PSPP and not SPSS?

From: Joseph Saint Pierre
Subject: Re: When to use PSPP and not SPSS?
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 17:07:29 +0100

2014/1/6, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <address@hidden>:
> Hi all
>
> I work for a large Norwegian college and in some circumstances, we can't use
> SPSS (at least for now). I have asked the researchers if they maybe could
> use PSPP, but they seem very sceptic. Since I don't know much about them,
> being an operation engineer, could someone line out the major differences
> between them apart from license/cost/openness etc?

Hello.

I have used SPSS for a long time (1984 to 2006) I thought PSPP was
good enough to replace SPSS. Not to do everything which is availabe in
SPSS but for what SPSS is better than other statistical packages, free
or not (R, SAS ...) . In 2006 I supervised the writing of a tutorial
in french on PSPP.

In 2012 I have written some comments to compare PSPP and SPSS for
"sceptic" users and help them to switch

Those comments are on my web page in LaTeX and pdf formats

http://cict.fr/~stpierre/pspp-ingenieurs-notes.pdf
http://cict.fr/~stpierre/pspp-ingenieurs-notes.tex
http://cict.fr/~stpierre/pspp-ingenieurs.pdf
http://cict.fr/~stpierre/pspp-ingenieurs.tex

The 2006 tutorial is still on my web page but a little obsolete

http://cict.fr/~stpierre/doc-pspp.pdf

Yours faithfully.

Joseph Saint Pierre