pspp-users

Re: why is an old PSPP version present in ubuntu repository?

From: dr soumalya ray
Subject: Re: why is an old PSPP version present in ubuntu repository?
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 10:50:59 +0800 (SGT)

hi,

> On Monday, 12 May 2014 1:37 AM, John Darrington <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 07:28:21PM +0000, Dana M Williams wrote:
>
>      What would be necessary to get it back into the repository
>
> The Ubuntu repositories (with a few exceptions, I think) include what Debian
> has
> in its repostitory.  So it would be necessary for someone to take over the
> maintainership of PSPP for the Debian project.

i was talking about this in the #debian irc channel. apparently, it is
scheduled to be dropped from the next release, jessie. so, after that even the
old version (0.7.9) will not be available in the repository.

you will have to add "untrusted, unofficial" ppa or compile it from git.

--
>  These days Debian has rather a lot of administrative
> hoops to jump through, so that person would need to have the patience to
> negotiate those too.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer#Becoming_a_Debian_Maintainer I think
> is
> the page
> which describes the process for becoming a Debian maintainer.

i have that question too. i went through the debian maintainer link (posted
above by john). it is very difficult to find debian sponsor/mentor,
particularly, when i am not using debian myself.

i have submitted a wishlist bug
(https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=747699) as suggested in the
irc channel.

as i am using xubuntu 14.04, also submitted a launchpad bug
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pspp/+bug/1318160); needs
confirmation.

regards,

som