pspp-users

Re: 1. Updating PSPP 2. Factor Scores in PSPP Factor Analysis

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: 1. Updating PSPP 2. Factor Scores in PSPP Factor Analysis
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 06:44:39 +0200

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 12:44:44AM +0000, H. Burshtyn wrote:
     1. I can see that there are PSPP modules dated later than the date I first
starting using PSPP but don't know how to get??PSPP easily??updated (as I get
updates to most programs I use). I suppose I could just uninstall the program
and re-install the latest version, but that does not seem very elegant.

Obviously that depends on your operating system and how you installed PSPP in
the first place.

On most systems, "doing an install" when there is already an older package
installed has the
effect of updating it.  For example, on debian based operating systems simply
entering
 "apt-get install pspp" will install pspp if it is not already installed, and
will overwrite
it with the most recent available version otherwise.  I believe that RedHat and
SuSE both
have similar methods.  - Refer to the instructions for your system.

On the other hand, if you installed PSPP manually from source, then
uninstalling and reinstalling
is probably safest.  Refer to the file called INSTALL which comes with the
tarball (In case you
have lost that file, you can read it online at
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/pspp.git/plain/INSTALL )

     2. The factor analysis program produces a matrix of what I can use as
regression weights to calculate factor scores for each case but that's clumsy
and time-consuming. Most such programs including SPSS produces these on request
as part of the analysis specs. Any chance of PSPP doing this? (Maybe I'll find
it's been done as a result of the answer to question 1 above.)

So far as I can recall, the only recent update to FACTOR has been to include
PROMAX rotation.

I guess what you're asking for is the /SAVE subcommand which SPSS has - or
perhaps the /MATRIX subcommand ?
If you can spell out your requirements, then perhaps it could be achieved in a
future version.

Regards,

John

--