pspp-users

Re: RE: finding new developers

From: Harry Thijssen
Subject: Re: RE: finding new developers
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 13:38:31 +0100

> Maybe we should start actively looking for new developers?

With more than 20.000 downloads of the latest MSWindows build, from sourceforge only, there must be a large userbase.  I know the version is replicated to university networks and on a lot of download sites on internet. So most likely the total number of downloads/users is much higher.

As I know that PSPP is used on many universities around the world I still wonder why there is no participation from these universities or students. A nice initiative of google is the summer of code which will be held in 2016 again. Students can earn up to 5500 US dollar when spending their summer holiday on coding for an openSource project, in this case PSPP.

https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/faq

This can be promoted by list members at all kinds of educational institutes. Maybe a student-developer steps forward and will it a try.

Universities could also make it possible to build a PSPP feature as part of the study of ICT students.

For companies/governements it could be a good idea to pay for developing (or let it develop in house) the functionality they miss in PSPP. This could be much cheaper for them as buying a lot of SPSS licenses.

The key in this is a volunteer user community which promotes PSPP.

Have fun
.