pspp-users

Re: SPSS record type 7

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: SPSS record type 7
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 11:53:30 -0600

On 12/28/2015 11:23 AM, news wrote:
Hi,

I try to import a SPSS sav file from PSPP into the R's RKWARD but get an error message. As I don't know whether this is a SPSS/PSPP or  a R question I first post here. The error message reads:
Warning in read.spss("C:{file name}.sav",  :
("C:{file name}.sav" : Unrecognized record type 7, subtype 18 encountered in system file
I have no clue what a SPSS record type 7 nor its subtypes might be but maybe someone here ?

And if we know what the error message means how to answer it ?

TIA,

ftr

It's an R error, but if you ask them, they'll tell you that lots of people have this trouble:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3136293/read-spss-file-into-r
http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/read-spss-warning-message-Unrecognized-record-type-7-subtype-18-encountered-in-system-file-td3000775.html

The first link suggests a solution, the second link tells you to ignore the warning.  I get the impression that the PSPP code used in the R foreign package has not been updated in many, many years.

-Alan

--

Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.
President, Talent Algorithms Inc.

science + technology = better workers

+815.588.3846 (Office)
+267.334.4143 (Mobile)

http://www.alanmead.org

Announcing the Journal of Computerized Adaptive Testing (JCAT), a
peer-reviewed electronic journal designed to advance the science and
practice of computerized adaptive testing: http://www.iacat.org/jcat