pspp-users

Re: problem with running port pspp-devel (MacOS X11 Server)

From: Friedrich Beckmann
Subject: Re: problem with running port pspp-devel (MacOS X11 Server)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 11:21:06 +0200

Hi Georg,

this is not a specific question for pspp but for macports X11 in general. Any application that requires X11 needs a proper X11 server running. There are two possible ways to get an Xserver under MacOS.

a) Install XQuartz without macports as an install package via http://www.xquartz.org
b) Install XQuartz via macports (port: xorg-server)

Depending on this a different launchdaemon script has to be active. I have installed XQuartz via macports. My
display variable is:

FriedrichsMacBook:~ fritz$ echo $DISPLAY
/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.sTURE7Hzol/org.macports:0

The scripts for the launchdaemon are here:
FriedrichsMacBook:~ fritz$ ls -la /Library/LaunchAgents/org.mac*
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  721 16 Okt 10:48 /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  632  2 Jan 09:43 /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macports.startx.plist

In order to install the right script you use launchctl. I now use the XServer which is installed via macports. To
enable the launch script:

FriedrichsMacBook:~ fritz$ launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macports.startx.plist

This will enable the launch script for the macports server. Maybe you need to disable the other one via „unload“.
Now logout and login again. You can test the proper behavior by starting any x application.

FriedrichsMacBook:~ fritz$ xlogo

If everything works, you should see the Xlogo window opening. You can start the pspp gui via

FriedrichsMacBook:~ fritz$ psppire

The launch script is persistent over boot. So after this you can run psppire always by just typing psppire in a terminal.

Friedrich