pupa-devel

proposal on terminology

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: proposal on terminology
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 02:26:58 +0900

Thanks Macchan for today's presentation.

After the social meeting, I thought about terminology, because the
physical structure of PUPA will be very different from that of
GRUB. So I'd like to change some names, as shown below:

[GRUB]               [PUPA]
Stage 1       -----> Boot Image (or, "pupaboot")
Stage 2       -----> Kernel Image (or, "pupakern")
GRUB shell    -----> PUPA emulator (or, "pupa-emu")

I want to avoid the name "core image", because it sounds like things
dumped when crashing on Unix.

The reason why I don't want to call the emulator "shell" any longer is
that people often mistake the command-line interface for the shell. It
should be natural to call it "emulator", as it is definitely an
emulator.

Okuji