qemacs-devel

[Qemacs-devel] compiling/installing qemacs on Solaris

From: Ken Beesley
Subject: [Qemacs-devel] compiling/installing qemacs on Solaris
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 20:18:32 +0200 (MEST)

Some observations, while trying to compile and install qemacs-0.3.1
on Solaris.  I'm trying to be helpful, not critical.

1.  In the Makefile, about line 78, there was
LDFLAGS+=-Wl,-E

This -E option caused problems for gcc and I had to remove it.

2.  I had lots of problems with the Makefile's 'install' goal.

install: qe qe.1 kmaps ligatures html2png
        install -m 755 qe $(prefix)/bin/qemacs
        ln -sf qemacs $(prefix)/bin/qe
ifdef CONFIG_FFMPEG
        ln -sf qemacs $(prefix)/bin/ffplay
endif
        mkdir -p $(prefix)/share/qe
        install kmaps ligatures $(prefix)/share/qe
        install qe.1 $(prefix)/man/man1
        install -m 755 -s html2png $(prefix)/bin

I had problems with compiling html2png, so I removed it.

The first line inside the goal
        install -m 755 qe $(prefix)/bin/qemacs
seemed incorrect.  I changed it to
        install -m 755 qe $(prefix)/bin

In the end I had to manually copy the qe, kmaps, ligatures
and qe.1 files into the indicated locations.  I'm not sure
what I'm doing wrong (or what the fatal differences are
between my system and the developer's).

*****

But qemacs is now installed and starting to work!

I'll be asking about KMAPS and fonts in subsequent messages.

Ken

Kenneth R. Beesley              address@hidden
Xerox Research Centre Europe    Tel from France:    04  76 61 50 64
6, chemin de Maupertuis         Tel from Abroad: +33 4  76 61 50 64
38240 MEYLAN                    Fax from France:    04  76 61 50 99
France                          Fax from Abroad: +33 4  76 61 50 99

XRCE page:      http://www.xrce.xerox.com
Personal page:  http://www.xrce.xerox.com/people/beesley/beesley.html