qemacs-devel

Re: [Qemacs-devel] am i found a bug ? and some questions too...

From: Charlie Gordon
Subject: Re: [Qemacs-devel] am i found a bug ? and some questions too...
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:05:02 +0100

Hi all,

The qemacs project has been asleep for a long time, while Fabrice and I were
busy with other projects.
I have made a number of fixes for the kind of problems that you encounter, but
alas haven't gotten around to committing them in the source tree yet.  I expect
to bring the project back to life early january 2005.

Also in the pipeline are a number of patches submitted to the list during the
past year or two.

There were a few issues with the popup window system that often lead to crashes
as you are experiencing.

I also beefed up the process buffer VT100 emulation to the point where it can
run midnight commander, full screen configuration utilities, and even qemacs
itself.  I haven't tried vim, but it should work !

Many small improvements were made to the command set to bring it closer to its
elders feel.

Extra modes were added, esp. code coloring for more languages.

UTF-8 fixes are in there too, and making qemacs the standard for editing utf-8
or unicode files is high on my agenda.

The main subject of brainstorming about qemacs has been the scripting language
extension: from the current crude config file interpreter, We have many choices
to select from.  My personnal preferences go toward this :
- C like syntax
- native string type, static and dynamic types, type and declaration inference.
- automatic memory management, safe pointers, arrays, slices...
- simple but complete encapsulation of editor API with simple objects.
- extensible design, even for basic types.
- compiled on the fly.
- fast and small implementation.
- API compatible with other scripting languages ?

Some open questions :
- why not use an existing language ?
- why not support multiple languages ?
- what shall we call it ?
- what stays in C, what is written in this language ?
- what kind of arithmetic ?
- what is the size of char ?
- when does it ship ?

Please give us your impressions, yet allow for some delay for responses as I
will be unavailable until next year.
Happy New Year to all, and long live qemacs reborn.

--
Charlie Gordon