qemu-arm

[Qemu-arm] help on how to emulate rasbperry pi 2

From: Mats Malmberg
Subject: [Qemu-arm] help on how to emulate rasbperry pi 2
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 15:40:08 +0000

Hello all!

TL;DR : Is the raspi2 machine ready to use? If yes, how do I use it with ordinary rpi distros? If not, what is the best way to emulate raspberry pi 2 via Qemu?

Host 'uname -a' output:
Linux user-Precision-M4700 3.19.0-49-generic #55~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 22 11:24:31 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Qemu version (via apt-get) 2.5.50

I have been trying lately to get an emulation going with the raspi2 machine. I admit that this is my first encounter with trying to use qemu, so perhaps some of my attempts have been naive in their approach. Still, I've spent a lot of time googling guides, qemu user documentation, blog posts, git repositories etc, but with no success. Now I'm all out of ideas...

I've tried more ways than suitable to describe here, but in short I typically:
1. take a official linux distro for raspberry pi (alpine, raspbian-jessie, Hypriot etc) (all of them verified to work on actual target)
2. find a (what I think is) a compatible kernel, either by copying from distro's rootfs boot/ directory or by building a qemu kernel from source (https://github.com/dhruvvyas90/qemu-rpi-kernel)
3. try and start the emulation with
qemu-system-arm -kernel kernel_file -M raspi2 -hda linux_image_file.img

at this point, the terminal says "VNC server running on '127.0.0.1;5900'
4. using vinagre client i connect to the given address, but it only gives me a compat_monitor0 console

Thus I wonder, is the raspi2 machine a feature that is ready to use?
If so, where do I fail in my attempts? If not, what is a recommended alternative?

Any help or pointers on how to be able to emulate my target (raspberry pi 2) would be very appreciated.

Best Regards
Mats

Mats Malmberg

address@hidden

+46 733 35 21 76

www.tritech.se

+46 8 410 120 00

Järnvägsgatan 10

PO Box 1094, SE-172 22 Sundbyberg, Sweden