qemu-arm

Re: [Qemu-arm] Unable to run QEMU with ubuntu ARM image on mac.

From: dharmik thakkar
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] Unable to run QEMU with ubuntu ARM image on mac.
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 12:17:31 +0530

Hi Peter,
I am trying to run arm based kernel using qemu on mac. I have build the kernel image using linux 4.4.6 for arm architecture. I am using the below command but I don't see kernel booting. While building the kernel i used the defconfig for arm which was versatile_defconfig.

Try 1:
qemu-img create -f qcow2 linuxarm.qcow2 10G
qemu-system-arm -hda linuxarm.qcow2 -kernel vmlinuz-4.4.6 -initrd initrd.img-4.4.6 -m 1024 -M versatilepb

A black blank screen appears without displaying anything.

Try 2:

qemu-img create -f qcow2 linuxarm.qcow2 10G
qemu-system-arm -hda linuxarm.qcow2 -kernel vmlinuz-4.4.6 -initrd initrd.img-4.4.6 -m 1024 -M versatilepb -cdrom 2015-04-06-ubuntu-trusty.zip -boot d

A black blank screen appears without displaying anything.

Point out if I am missing something in the process.

Regards
Dharmik

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 7:05 PM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
On 4 April 2016 at 06:30, dharmik thakkar <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am trying to run ubuntu for arm using qemu. I have tried using different
> images for ubuntu but have ended up with same error ‘Trying to execute code
> outside RAM or ROM at 0x08000000’.
>
> Below are the steps I have followed to run ubuntu on qemu -
>

> 1. qemu-img create -f qcow2 linuxarm.qcow2 10G.
>
> 2. qemu-system-arm -hda linuxarm.qcow2 -cdrom
> ~/Downloads/2015-04-06-ubuntu-trusty.zip -boot d -m 512 -M virt

This command line does not specify either:
   (a) a kernel to boot via -kernel
or (b) a BIOS image to boot via -bios (like UEFI)

So the emulator starts trying to execute instructions starting at
address zero, which are all NOPs until it reaches the end of the
emulated flash memory at 0x800000. Then it gives you this error.

You should change your command line one way or the other.

thanks
-- PMM