qemu-arm

Re: [Qemu-arm] about armv8's prefetch decode

From: Ori Chalak (A)
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] about armv8's prefetch decode
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 08:59:29 +0000

Hi Peter,

Indeed, prefetch instruction affects only the micro architecture, and hence not
needed for running correctly the generated code.
However, we developed a performance simulator for a detailed ARMv8 CPU model,
and use Qemu to resolve the functionality.
And for this purpose we need to translate all instructions that may affect the
pipeline behavior, caches, etc.

This is not the major usage of Qemu, however there may be others doing this and
it may help them.
http://www.linux-kvm.org/images/4/45/01x09-Christopher_Covington-Using_Upstream_QEMU_for_CASS.pdf

Regards,

Ori Chalak