qemu-arm

[Qemu-arm] [Query]: Does QEMU support SMSC LAN9514 chip for Raspberry Pi

From: Daniel Chang
Subject: [Qemu-arm] [Query]: Does QEMU support SMSC LAN9514 chip for Raspberry Pi2(raspi2)?
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 06:56:33 +0000

Hi guys,

Recently I’m trying to emulate a Raspberry Pi 2 system on QEMU(host is X86-64 ubuntu server 17.04).

The guest OS is made by myself with 4.9.34 linux kernel and buildroot. And I can boot it up.

Then I want to configure network to make the guest access internet.

The idea is to use host tap device as backend and connected it with guest frontend interface(virtual NIC).

But the problem is, which virtual NIC should I use?

According to Wikipedia( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#cite_note-SMSC-LAN9514-specs-33),

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B has a build-in USB Ethernet adapter using the SMSC LAN9514 chip. But I didn’t see it in the device list for raspi2.

Does anyone know:

1.       If SMSC LAN9514 is support in QEMU for raspi2

2.       If yes, how to configure it

3.       If no, any way else can bring up the network for guest

Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

Daniel