qemu-arm

Re: [Qemu-arm] [Query]: Does QEMU support SMSC LAN9514 chip for Raspberr

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] [Query]: Does QEMU support SMSC LAN9514 chip for Raspberry Pi2(raspi2)?
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 02:09:49 -0300

Hi Daniel,

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 3:56 AM, Daniel Chang <address@hidden> wrote:
> Recently I’m trying to emulate a Raspberry Pi 2 system on QEMU(host is
> X86-64 ubuntu server 17.04).
[...]
> Raspberry Pi 2 Model B has a build-in USB Ethernet adapter using the SMSC
> LAN9514 chip. But I didn’t see it in the device list for raspi2.

As you noticed on the Raspberry Pi 2 the Ethernet adapter is connected
to the BCM2836 cpu via the USB bus.
On this cpu the USB controller is implemented with the "DWC USB2.0
OTG" IP core from Synopsys. This user manual is protected and only
available for Synopsys customers.
I believe this is the reason why there is no USB modeled for the raspi2.

See:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bcm2836/README.md
https://www.synopsys.com/dw/ipdir.php?ds=dwc_usb_2_0_digital_controllers

> The idea is to use host tap device as backend and connected it with guest
> frontend interface(virtual NIC).
>
> But the problem is, which virtual NIC should I use?

With the announce of Docker running on ARM with the Raspberry Pi 2
example, I see few people trying to emulate the raspi2 to run ARM
containers and they have your problem for network access.

If you don't care about which ARM board emulate, I recommend you the
"virt" board which is probably the most complete and performant.

See Peter Maydell post:
https://translatedcode.wordpress.com/2016/11/03/installing-debian-on-qemus-32-bit-arm-virt-board/

Now if you really need to emulate a Raspberry Pi 2 you can connect it
to an IP network using the SLIP or PPP (recommended) protocol thru the
UART (ttyAMA0). You will need to disable the console login shell
(install sshd first).

See:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO/direct.html

Regards,