qemu-arm

Re: [Qemu-arm] Booting Cortex-M3 Linux kernels in qemu

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] Booting Cortex-M3 Linux kernels in qemu
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 09:52:00 +0100

On 19 June 2018 at 18:43, Guenter Roeck <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the link; that gave me enough information to find
> a solution that is not too invasive and works for me.
>
> I need to be able to run a single kernel image against multiple
> devicetree files and root file systems. This doesn't work with
> above solution since it bundles everything together (or, rather,
> it would break my workflow). However, it was easy enough to tweak the
> boot wrapper and load it using "-bios". I added support for "-bios",
> "-initrd", and "-dtb" to mps2_common_init(). That change is simple
> enough to carry in my private qemu branch.

Glad you found something that works for you.

It is also possible to write a bootwrapper that loads a
kernel/initrd via the semihosting ABI (assuming you trust
your guest, since semihosting lets it read/write arbitrary
host files).
https://git.linaro.org/arm/models/boot-wrapper.git/
is an example of doing that for A-profile.

thanks
-- PMM