qemu-arm

Re: Multiple vIOMMU instance support in QEMU?

From: Peter Xu
Subject: Re: Multiple vIOMMU instance support in QEMU?
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 10:16:24 -0400

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 11:06:50AM +0200, Eric Auger wrote:
> Hi Nicolin,
>
> On 5/18/23 05:22, Nicolin Chen wrote:
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > Eric previously mentioned that you might not like the idea.
> > Before we start this big effort, would it possible for you
> > to comment a word or two on this topic?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 04:42:57PM -0700, Nicolin Chen wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> (Please feel free to include related folks into this thread.)
> >>
> >> In light of an ongoing nested-IOMMU support effort via IOMMUFD, we
> >> would likely have a need of a multi-vIOMMU support in QEMU, or more
> >> specificly a multi-vSMMU support for an underlying HW that has multi
> >> physical SMMUs. This would be used in the following use cases.
> >>  1) Multiple physical SMMUs with different feature bits so that one
> >>     vSMMU enabling a nesting configuration cannot reflect properly.
> >>  2) NVIDIA Grace CPU has a VCMDQ HW extension for SMMU CMDQ. Every
> >>     VCMDQ HW has an MMIO region (CONS and PROD indexes) that should
> >>     be exposed to a VM, so that a hypervisor can avoid trappings by
> >>     using this HW accelerator for performance. However, one single
> >>     vSMMU cannot mmap multiple MMIO regions from multiple pSMMUs.
> >>  3) With the latest iommufd design, a single vIOMMU model shares the
> >>     same stage-2 HW pagetable across all physical SMMUs with a shared
> >>     VMID. Then a stage-1 pagetable invalidation (for one device) at
> >>     the vSMMU would have to be broadcasted to all the SMMU instances,
> >>     which would hurt the overall performance.
> Well if there is a real production use case behind the requirement of
> having mutliple vSMMUs (and more generally vIOMMUs) sure you can go
> ahead. I just wanted to warn you that as far as I know multiple vIOMMUS
> are not supported even on Intel iommu and virtio-iommu. Let's add Peter
> Xu in CC. I foresee added complexicity with regard to how you define the
> RID scope of each vIOMMU, ACPI table generation, impact on arm-virt
> machine options, how you pass the feature associated to each instance,
> notifier propagation impact? And I don't evoke the VCMDQ feat addition.
> We are still far from having a singleton QEMU nested stage SMMU
> implementation at the moment but I understand you may want to feed the
> pipeline to pave the way for enhanced use cases.

I agree with Eric that we're still lacking quite a few things for >1
vIOMMUs support, afaik.

What you mentioned above makes sense to me from the POV that 1 vIOMMU may
not suffice, but that's at least totally new area to me because I never
used >1 IOMMUs even bare metal (excluding the case where I'm aware that
e.g. a GPU could have its own IOMMU-like dma translator).

What's the system layout of your multi-vIOMMU world?  Is there still a
centric vIOMMU, or multi-vIOMMUs can run fully in parallel, so that e.g. we
can have DEV1,DEV2 under vIOMMU1 and DEV3,DEV4 under vIOMMU2?  Can vIOMMU
get involved in any plug/unplug dynamically in any form?  What else can be
different from that regard?

Is it a common hardware layout or nVidia specific?

Thanks,

--
Peter Xu